“Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” – Jesus [Matthew 28:18-20]
Adults who seek baptism should refer to our RCIA page.
Baptism Preparation for Infants
The Baptism of a child is a joyous moment for Parents, Godparents, and the entire Church community! We welcome your child and promise to help parents and godparents to be with her/him in the journey to the Kingdom of Heaven.
In expressing a desire to have their child baptized, parents accept the responsibility of raising their child as followers of Jesus and active Catholic Christians. To assist parents in this duty, we ask that all parents be registered members of a parish and attend baptismal preparation classes prior to scheduling the baptism of their children.
Please see our Baptism Policy for further information and guidance.
For the baptism of infants:
- Parents must be parishioners at St. Catherine Labouré Parish (they must either reside in the territory of the parish or have obtained the permission of their local pastor to register at St. Catherine Labouré). Parents who are not parishioners may have children baptized here with the permission of their own local pastor.
- A completed Baptism Registration Form must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to attending the Baptism Seminar of choice.
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate should be submitted so that we can make sure that we have the correct information about your child.
- Parents are to attend a Baptism Seminar before the Baptism is scheduled (unless you have attended one within the past 36 months). Seminars are held monthly. Due to COVID, they are being scheduled as-needed. Once you submit the registration form, we will contact you regarding the seminar. If you live some distance from St. Catherine Labouré Parish, you may participate in a pre-baptism class at your local parish; if you do this, please make sure that St. Catherine Labouré Parish receives documentation of your attendance at the class.
- Parents are to select one or two godparents (sponsors) for their child. Please see the Sponsor (Godparent) section below.
- Parents may elect to make a donation to the priest, parish, or both.
A Godparent must meet the following criteria (per the 1983 Code of Canon Law):
- Must be over the age of 16.
- Must be a Baptized, Confirmed, and practicing Catholic who has also received their First Holy Communion and who Catholic who leads a life of faith in keeping with the role to be taken on.
- In good standing with the Catholic Church
- If married, must be married through the Catholic Church (cohabitation outside of marriage also precludes one from serving as a sponsor).
- Parents may select one male or one female Godparent, or one of each.
Godparent will need to obtain a sponsorship form from their local parishes, stating that they are registered in a parish and practicing Catholics. Godparents from St. Catherine Labouré Parish may use this form. Godparents from other parishes should ask for a form at their parish office, or they may fill out and print the St. Catherine Labouré form, then take it to their own parish to be signed. Afterwards, the form is to be submitted to St. Catherine Labouré Parish, 4000 Derrry Street, Harrisburg, PA 17111.
Baptism preparation for children 7-14 year of age
Classes for unbaptized children ages 7 through 14 are held in Saint Catherine Labouré School on Sunday mornings, 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m., from September through May, except on Federal and Religious Holiday weekends. These classes will follow the PREP (Parish Religious Education Program) Schedule. Students at St. Catherine Labouré School will normally be prepared through the School; additional meetings will be scheduled as needed. For additional information and registration, please contact 717-564-1321 or email@example.com.
An additional program for unbaptized children ages 7 through 14 who are coming into the church with their parent(s) may be provided. Contact the parish at 717-564-1321 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.